The 11th Annual Podcast Awards is upon us, as promised there has been a complete rules re-write! This is the biggest change in the history of the Podcast Awards, and the first step in establishing long term viability for the awards. Please review the new rules for 2016 we look forward to your feedback. The future of the awards is highly dependent on your participation, and the success of the GoFundMe campaign through your support so please promote it to help us reach our goal to raise 25k.
Podcast Awards Steering Committee
The Steering Committee will be made up of Legacy Podcast Award winners (see below), those that participate will be instrumental in shaping the awards as we move into the next decade. The participating show hosts will produce an annual report to the podcasting community on decisions, and any information about the podcast awards that should be shared with the community. The following shows have been designated Legacy shows based on the 2016 rules, and have the opportunity to participate on the steering committee. They are not elgible for a Podcast Award going forward. See rules below for details.
- ESPN: Fantasy Focus Football
- Feast of Fools / Fun
- Free Talk Live
- Manager Tools
- Rob Has a Podcast
- The Majority Report
- The Morning Stream
- The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
- This American Life
- This Week in Tech
- WDW Radio
Nomination Rules and Show Eligibility:
- Any Show Podcasting Since Jan 1, 2016 with 10 episodes and who has published a new episode within the past 30 days of the open of the nomination period is eligible for nomination of a Podcast Awards
- Any Show that won a podcast award in the 2015 podcast awards is not eligible for nomination in the current year's awards
- The show that won in the previous year, will present the award to this year's winner and be recognized, if not able to participate the show will be recognized and an alternate presenter will be selected by the steering committee.
- Any single show that has won 5 Podcast Awards total in any category in the past 10 years or 4 Podcast Awards in any category in the past 5 years will be designated a "Legacy Podcast", and earn permanent placement on the Podcast Awards Site. The show hosts for those shows will not be eligible for future awards for that show, but will gain placement on the Podcast Award Steering committee making them ineligible for an award.
- Legacy shows will be honored Annually at the Podcast Award Ceremony.
- Any Show wishing to be considered for nomination shall register via the registration page and pay via paypal a nominal $10.00 registration fee. The registration fee is simply to qualify podcast hosts that want to participate, and or be part of the awards process to include showing up for the Awards ceremony or providing a video acceptance speech.
- Shows that do not register will not be considered for the slate of finalists regardless of the total number of nominations they receive. Shows may register anytime before the nominations close on April. 30th 1016. The registration fee is non-refundable, even if the show does not make the final slate.
- For 2016 all nomination registration fees will be used to help fund the rebuilding of the Podcast Awards website for the 2017 event. All shows that have registered and paid the fee will be listed on the podcast awards site shortly after nomination closing, even if they are not finalists.
The Nomination Process:
Listeners will be able to nominate their favorite shows from April 15, 2016 to April 30, 2016. The nomination page can only be filled in once. IP and Email tracking is in place along with other anti-cheating mechanisms. Each nomination will be verified by email which will require a confirmation by web based url.
Podcast Awards Nomination Review Proces:
The review committee will be made up of 20 Podcaster reviewers in addition to 20 listener reviewers. Each category will be reviewed by a minimum of one podcaster and one listener.
Podcast reviewers will not be allowed to review a category that they have a conflict of interest in. Each podcast reviewer will be required to fill out a reviewer application that will list his or her personal shows, show category, any podcast company he works for or represents and conflicts the steering committee should be made aware of.
Reviewers will not have access to the total number of nominations a show has received. Only the Podcast Steering committee will have access to total nominations each show has received so as to complete the review process and determine the slate.
Each Show will be graded via worksheet that covers the following review areas each with a grading criteria and score.
- Total Nominations (Weighted)
- Website / Brand / Album Art/ Mobile Ready / Show Notes.
- 1-10 Past episodes will be reviewed.
- Subscription Graphics, Links (RSS, Itunes, Android)
- Email or Contact Page
- Web Based Podcast Player
- Consistency, Longevity, Total Episodes
Each category will be independently graded by a minimum of 1 Listener and 1 Podcaster with the goal of 2x2 for each category. The final slate of 10 shows per category, will be the top 10 scoring shows, averages across the category. PCA will provide 72 hours advance notice of slate announcement will be held via online webcast. In no circumstances will the final scores of any show ever be revealed! During the slate announcement PCA founder will provide a breakdown of all shows nominated, trends and associated information that was determined by the reviewers. This annual review has often determined new podcasting trends that all podcasters have used to better their shows.
Voting will commence 1 week after the slate announcement. Voting will last for 15 days, and listeners can vote once a day. While there has been much discussion about daily voting the process allows smaller shows the opportunity to engage their audiences othwerwise the biggest shows would always win. If voting was limited to one time only, we could in essence announce a winner strictly from the nominations process. Ultimately the People / Listeners of the nominated podcasts will determine who the winner will be.